christmas time is here.
and because mrs. b called me out specifically , i'm going to step out of my grinchy-scrooge-like blogging role for a minute, and take the time to respond.
because she is SO right.
i wouldn't have done it.
so here it is mrs. b.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? wrapping paper, like mrs. b, i'm not the worlds best wrapper (although i THINK i wrap better than a kindergartner...but that could just be my own bias), but i like bows and tape and pretty things. gift bags are pretty, though, but kind of cheating for the christmas effort. kids should have to struggle to get their treasures opened.
2. Real tree or artificial? conceptually, real. realistically, artificial. (plus, as i saw the gruesome twosome had this year, you can get REALLY cheezy and get that "christmas tree smell" stuff, which just adds a WHOLE NEW LEVEL of christmas joy/annoyance, depending on your point of view.)
3. When do you put up the tree? in the past? after thanksgiving. these days i'm lucky if i make one out of construction paper.
4. When do you take the tree down? if i'm lucky, i get to escape that chore altogether!
5. Do you like eggnog? yes. but i don't drink it much. although i do remember having my share of "eggnog flavored milkshakes" from mcdonald's.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? i remember getting a particularly cool barbie one year, with a motorcycle. she had longer than normal barbie hair, was more articulated than your typical barbie, and her arms moved when you pushed a button on her back. although, i wasn't overly into dolls, but that is a gift i remember.
7. Do you have a Nativity scene? not mine personally, but the one my mum made years ago. my sister and i used to fight about who got to hang the angel on it.
8. Hardest person to buy for? hands down, my mother.
9. Easiest person to buy for? me. ::grins::
10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? hmmm. nothing springs to mind.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? there is something to be said for emailing christmas cards, but mailing is the non-cheating way. but i am SO a cheater! instant gratification!!!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? A Christmas Story. (triple dog dares? that leg lamp? "you'll shoot your eye out!"? it's the princess bride of christmas movies!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? oh? was i supposed to start that?
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? i have nothing against that at all. however, i don't think so, because mostly the gifts i would receive, would be on no one else's list. :)
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? for the pretty factor, clear. for the homey, real christmas factor, colored. oh, yes. no contest there.
17. Favorite Christmas song? new kids got ran over by a reindeer. no, i'm just kidding.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? travel. especially if there is a hugely decorated christmas feast at the end of the journey!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? yes. and now i even know them in french! HA!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? angel. though i'm open to star toppers.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? eve is for extended family. morning is for immediate and santa presents. yes. santa still brings me presents. so, shut up, and don't be givin' me evils!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? it's how it starts earlier and earlier...now it's practically before halloween. THAT IS SO CHEATING!!!
23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do, or miss doing? it wasn't a family tradition, but in high school i used to have friends over to go caroling in the neighborhood - at my best friends we watched "SCROOGED" every year - one year, we had a pianist friend come over and play while we all sung carols and drank hot chocolate. i miss that cozy homey christmas feeling that brings. they don't really carol in france.
24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? there are many, many, many things that fit in this category. mostly the cheap-o ornaments are just AWFUL.
25. Which looks best, theme trees or homey trees? homey trees. for absolutely certain. although theme trees can look lovely, they are just for show and not meant to be in people's homes. unless they are just for public viewing and there is a proper tree (you know, the ones filled with all the decorations you made in elementary school).